Melissa Pacello, ACNP-BC
Board-Certified Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Surgery
Associate Degree in Science of Nursing: Horry Georgetown Technical College, Myrtle Beach, SC
Baccalaureate Degree in Science of Nursing: Clemson University, Clemson, SC
Masters Degree of Science – Acute Care Nurse Practitioner: University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
Board-Certified Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Melissa Pacello will oversee care for adults before, during and after cardiac surgery in collaboration with Dr. Peter Zakow. Mrs. Pacello will be responsible for performing health and physical assessments, ordering and reviewing results of diagnostic testing (EKGs, Radiological studies, Labwork), making diagnoses, and prescribing treatment based on results and monitored efficacy of treatment. She also manages devices such as Heart Mate II and III LVADS, Tandem Hearts RV ADS, Syncardia Total Artificial Heart and IABP. Mrs. Pacello looks forward to collaborating with the team of Catawba-Piedmont Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery to achieve optimal outcomes for every patient.
- Member of American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Member of American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Certification Acute Care Practitioners ANCC
Collaborate with surgeons, intensivist, and other specialty physicians to optimize patient recovery by minimizing risk of infection and decreasing their length of stay while in the hospital.
- Managing hypertension, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias and other heart conditions
- Evaluating and monitoring heart devices, such as pacemakers and defibrillators
- Providing physical exams so as to diagnose chronic and acute cardiac diseases
- Interpreting laboratory results or cardiac tests including stress tests, stress echocardiograms, exercise stress tests, PET/dipyridamole stress tests, and CT coronary angiograms
- Prescribing and managing cardiac medications and other therapies
- Educating patients on health maintenance and disease prevention